Posted By Traveler on 27. Februar 2011
It has been a while now since I posted something Cthulhu Mythos related. This is an almost unbearable situation. Fortunately, this post concerns the Mythos, this makes the situation more bearable.
Back in the early 1990′s when I read H.P. Lovecraft for the first time (I was in my late teens then) I also came across an example of Cthulhu Mythos/Steampunk crossover fiction. It was by a German author, Wolfgang Hohlbein, and it was then and still is, one of the worst examples of second-hand-ideas fiction. Hohlbein is one of Germany’s most popular authors, I cannot say I am a fan. I think he just mauled the works of H.P. Lovecraft and Jules Verne in his work… Amongst other things, Captain Nemo went to hunt Cthulhu and/or Dagon… Oh well…
But the idea of a crossover between Steampunk and the Cthulhu Mythos is not that far fetched at all. Just a few ideas that come to my mind without much brooding:
- The Great Race of Yith is always good for some mischief, especially in connection with a time machine.
- Ætheral travelers may encounter dimensional shamblers.
- Journey to the Center of the Earth: Cthonians and K’n-yan anyone?
- Space Exploration could lead to a number of different encounters
- Opium dens and the Dreamlands
- Explorers in Southeast Asia have an unpleasant encounter with the Cho-Cho
- I guess I could come up with some more…
And there is always the possibility of weird science gone awry come to think of it… If you choose not to be that puristic, I think Deep Ones and Mi-Go do not need to be hostile after all.
And speaking of Steampunk and Cthulhu, here is one execellent piece of artwork by Travis Lewis:
It is a real shame, I do not have enough time to bring all my ideas to paper, both for an RPG adventure and/or a short story. Well, fatherhood needs a lot of time and obviously gets priority!
But then again, I shall very soon start working at a new place. On the downside, communting will take a little longer now, o the upside, I will very likely have a place to sit now in both directions and can get some work done on the train.